The theme for the February BarkBox is “The Sniffin’ Safari”. I was a bit thrown by the theme. I honestly thought that BarkBox was going to go with a Valentine’s Day theme since it was February and they have so many awesome Valentine’s Day toys listed on Barkshop.com. However, being that BarkBox doesn’t ship out until the middle of the month, I suppose a different theme does make sense.
The toys in the February BarkBox are:
- Chewfasa the Lion – (retail value $10.00) This lion is a lot like the surfer head toy we received from BarkBox a few months ago. It’s a great toy for Bruce Wayne, as he absolutely loves trying to pull hair out of his toys. The entire head of the lion is one big squeaker. Be forewarned, it’s loud, lol, but lucky for me, Bruce Wayne can hardly ever squeak his toys and I don’t think this one will be an exception, as it is quite a thick toy.
Below is Bruce Wayne’s “first impression” of the Chewfasa Lion toy. As you can see, he loves it! Bruce Wayne hardly ever plays with toys, but he really does enjoy pulling the hair out the toy. Since this video, he has continued playing with it. It is a keeper for sure.
- Dr. Lickingstone – (retail value $8.00) In my opinion, this toy looks a lot more fun than it is. BarkBox never slacks on the quality of the toy, however, this one doesn’t do much for us. It is well made and creative, but just not the type of toy Bruce Wayne is into. The toys houses 3 squeakers: 1 in the doctor’s head; 1 in the doctor’s body; and 1 in the snake’s head. Since the toy is thick in size, I can pretty much guarantee that Bruce Wayne will not be able to squeak any of the squeakers.
The treats in the February BarkBox are:
- Koha Pork Jerky Bites – (retail value $8.00 for 5 oz.) The flavor we received is pork liver and venison. I had high hopes for these treats at first glance. They are a small square sized treat that would be the perfect size for Bruce Wayne or make for a great training treat for a larger dog. They feel like they are a semi soft chew. While I do like that they are grain free, there are 18 ingredients in these treats. There are no glaring ingredients that are “bad” for Bruce Wayne, I just like to keep his treats to minimal ingredients.
- I’d Rather Be With My Dog Trainer Treats – (retail value $8.00 for 5 oz.) These are a semi-soft treat that can easily be broken into smaller pieces for smaller pups. The flavor we received is lamb and sweet potato. It’s always nice to see a brand we are familiar with and that gives back to charities as much as I’d Rather Be With My Dog does. While these treats do have ingredients that are in line with what I’m willing to let Bruce Wayne eat, they do include “propionibacterium freudenreichii fermentation”. My first rule of thumb is that I don’t give Bruce Wayne ingredients that I cannot even pronounce, lol, however, I am willing to at least research it, as it is described on the packaging to be a probiotic.
- Butcher’s Block Bones 3” Krunchie Tubes – (retail value $3.95 for 2 3” tubes) These crunchy tubes are made from 100% beef trachea. They are becoming a staple in the BarkBox boxes. I’m sure many dogs go crazy over them, however, I cannot give them to Bruce Wayne since he’s had a tonsillectomy recently and has had throat issues in the past.
Estimated Value of the February BarkBox: $37.95
Overall Opinion: I must admit, I was bummed at first that we didn’t get any Valentine’s Day toys since the BarkShop collection of love toys looked awesome! The Sniffin’ Safari theme feels a little weird since it is still cold here where we live, but BarkBox did a great job of sticking to the theme throughout the box. The highlight item for us was definitely the Chewfasa Lion toy. This toy is exactly the kind of toys Bruce Wayne likes …. Lots of hair to pull out! 😉 Honestly, we were a bit disappointed with the treats. Usually, we get at least one treat that Bruce Wayne can eat. I fully acknowledge though that the reason the treats weren’t a big hit with us this month is because I am an overprotective wacky Dog Mom. 🙁
B-DUBS VERDICT: Bruce Wayne gives the February BarkBox 2 out of 4 grinchy paws.
Deals/Coupon Codes: If you’d like to try a BarkBox subscription, use code BRUCE for free shipping ($5.00 to Canada) and a free $10 credit to the BarkShop. (BarkBox can be ordered from www.barkbox.com/brucewayne.) If there’s a particular toy or treat you’d like to order from www.barkshop.com, you can use code BRUCE on any order of $10 or more for a free chew added to your order. Happy shopping!
*The Fine Print* – BarkBox sends toys and treats based on your dog’s size at the time you sign up for a subscription or single box and even if you have the same size dog as me, you may have received different products (same theme though) than Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne is an affiliate for BarkBox and receives a free box, however, these are solely my honest opinions of this month’s box based on Bruce Wayne’s size and preference.