The theme for the May BarkBox is “Wild Wild Woof”. What a fun way to bring in May. We haven’t yet seen a Wild West theme, so we quite enjoy it!
The toys in the May BarkBox are:
- Take the Money and Run – (retail value $12.00) This is my favorite toy in the box. It is a money bag with actual rope wrapped around the top. When you unwrap the rope, it turns in a handle so you could play tug-o-war if your dog wants to. The bag itself is encased in crinkle material that Bruce Wayne loves. There is also a large squeaker if your dog can get their mouth around the bag. Within the bag are 2 gold coins, both housing squeakers in each. While the bag is too big for Bruce Wayne, the coins are the perfect size for a small dog and both make for great photo props.
- There’s a Chew Sheriff in Town – (retail value $10.00) This is the perfect Sheriff hat for a small dog. It’s a tad bit big for Bruce Wayne, but isn’t that how Sherriff hat’s are supposed to fit?! LOL. While, we will certainly be using this toy more as a prop, it has some great toy features. The outside ring of the hat is lined with the infamous crinkle material that Bruce Wayne loves. In the top portion of the hat is a squeaker, which ours is super easy to squeak.
The treats in the May BarkBox are:
- Happy Howie’s Lamb Burger Chew – (retail value $3.00 for 1 oz.) This is a great treat for the Wild West theme, as it does resemble a burger patty. The patty itself is pretty thin, but way too big for a small dog to eat in one sitting. It feels like a jerky texture, which should make it easy to break into smaller pieces for your dog. I was happy to see that it was made without any wheat, corn, nitrates or soy! My concerns are the rice flour and vegetable oil. I’ll have to research more regarding those ingredients for dogs.
Ingredients: Lamb, Rice Flour, Sodium Lactate, Salt, Garlic, Dried Cultured Skim Milk, Citric Acid, Mixed Tocopherols (a natural preservative), Vegetable Oil, Rosemary Extract.
- Beefy Brisket Bites – (retail value $6.00 for 5.5 oz.) These treats are described as a beef brisket with cheese. While they do not feel like a crunchy treat, they are pretty thick and too big for a small dog. These treats would be great for larger dogs, as they probably wouldn’t have any trouble with the size. Again, this treat goes great with the theme, however, due to lots of starches in the ingredients, I will be holding these for a Closet Cleanout giveaway.
Ingredients: Beef, Oatmeal, Brown Rice, Barley, Vegetable Glycerin, Potato Starch, Cheddar Cheese, Beef Tallow, Maple Syrup, Vinegar, Natural Caramel Color, Xanthan Gum
- No Grainers Soft Chews – (retail value $12.00 for 5 oz.) The flavor we received is hickory bacon. These are described as a soft chew and feeling through the bag, they certainly do feel like a soft chew and can easily be broken down into smaller sizes, however, their current size makes for a great training treat for dogs of all sizes. Due to the fact that I’m a crazy dog Mom and limit Bruce Wayne’s ingredients, I will hold these treats for Closet Cleanout giveaway.
Ingredients: Chicken, Dried Whey, Yellow Pea Powder, Dehydrated Ground Potato, Sugar, Dried Ground Beet Pulp Product, Dried Ground Black Beans, Dried Ground Garbanzo Bean, Chicken Fat, Pecan Fiber, Salt, Honey, Dried Ground Molasses, Sodium Bisulfate, Natural Hickory Smoke Flavor, Dried Cultured Skim Milk, Mixed Tocopherols (preservative), Rosemary Extract
The extra/accessories in the May BarkBox are:
- Wanted Cutout – (retail value $n/a) This is a fun little extra showcasing the infamous Noodle (a BarkBox employee dog). You can take out Noodle’s face and insert your dog’s face, as shown below. If your dog has big ears like Bruce Wayne, they should be able to get away, as no one will actually see the “wanted” portion of the poster 😉
Estimated Value of the May BarkBox – $43.00
Overall Opinion: Overall, I loved the theme. The highlight items are most certainly the toys for us. They will make for great photo props. I am a bit disappointed with the treats since 2 out of the 3 are high ingredient treats, but I understand with subscription boxes that each month varies and I’m ultra picky. If you are looking for a constantly fun and creative subscription box, I would highly encourage you to give BarkBox a try.
B-DUBS VERDICT: Bruce Wayne gives the May BarkBox 2 out of 4 grinchy paws.
Deals/Coupon Codes: If you’d like to try a BarkBox subscription, use code BRUCE for free shipping ($5.00 to Canada) and a free $10 credit to the BarkShop. (BarkBox can be ordered from www.barkbox.com/brucewayne.) If there’s a particular toy or treat you’d like to order from www.barkshop.com, you can use code BRUCE on any order of $10 or more for a free chew added to your order. Happy shopping!
*The Fine Print* – BarkBox sends toys and treats based on your dog’s size at the time you sign up for a subscription or single box and even if you have the same size dog as me, you may have received different products (same theme though) than Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne is an affiliate for BarkBox and receives a free box, however, these are solely my honest opinions of this month’s box based on Bruce Wayne’s size and preference.