I 100% admit to being a helicopter pet parent. What’s that you may ask? A helicopter parent is one that hovers over their child, watching every move and over analyzing everything. That is how I am when it comes to Bruce Wayne. If he even sneezes the wrong way, I’m on our way to his Veterinarian’s office. As with anything, this can have it pros and it’s cons. On one paw, Bruce Wayne will always receive medical treatment in advance of any serious illnesses, however, on the other, it’s not good for my mental sanity.
That being said, when I saw someone on Instagram post about their Petnostics kit, I had to learn more. Upon some internet research, I learned that Petnostics is a company that ships you a urine cup so that you can test your dog’s urine right from your own home! Yes!! No going to the Veterinarian and most of all, this can give you peace of mind that there are no glaring medical concerns.
It should be noted that obviously, this kit does not take the place of emergency or routine Veterinary care. This is simply to help alert you if you should seek medical care sooner rather than later.
What’s in the Kit?
First off, I bought the kit online from the Petnostics store for $14.99. I cannot recall off hand how much our Veterinarian charges for a urinalysis, but this seemed pretty cheap for what it does, also considering the fact that there isn’t an exam fee attached to it.
When you receive your kit, everything comes in a small convenient box, pictured below. Within the box is a glove, urine cup, cup top (which is also where the testing strip is located), and written instructions.
How to Test
It is actually much simpler than you may think. In short, you put your dog’s urine in the cup. Before you collect any urine, you need to download the Petnostics App through either iTunes or Google Play. Don’t worry, it is a free app! 🙂
Once you have the app downloaded, you will want to have it open and ready to go. Follow the simple steps for the “urine cup screen” and then proceed following the steps below:
- Collect your dog’s urine. This will be difficult if you have a small dog like Bruce Wayne. It can be very difficult and messy to collect their urine since there is not much space between your dog and the ground. To help collect your dog’s urine, Petnostics offers a urine collector in their online store, however, it is the same price as the kit itself. I decided to go the cheap route and bought a ladle from The Dollar Tree store. It worked just fine and since it was only $1.00, I didn’t feel guilty about tossing it in the trash when I was done with it.
- Once your dog’s urine is in the cup, unpack the lid top and seal it on tightly! You want to make sure it is sealed tightly because of the next step.
- Turn the urine cup over upside down. You only need to turn it over for a few seconds. Any longer and you may ruin the testing strip on the inside of the lid. I turned Bruce Wayne’s over long enough to take a few pictures. Then, turn it back over upright.
- At this point, the Petnostics app directs you to wait 60 seconds before scanning the lid so that the urine collection can be accurately measured and analyzed. Don’t worry about counting, the app counts down for you.
- After the 60 seconds are over, you are instructed to line up the top of the lid with the circle in the app. For whatever reason, this scanning process did not work for me. It might be because I was shaking a bit. I had the cup on my dresser and was trying to get high enough to line it up correctly. I really am short, hence why Bruce Wayne refers to me as his “Little Lady”. 😉 If your lid top doesn’t scan correctly either, you will be instructed to take a photo within the app. It is quite simple as the app redirects you automatically. All you have to do is shoot and click. The app then automatically sends your results to the Petnostics team to be analyzed.
In total I waited no more than 8-10 minutes for our results. Everything tested came back as “normal” for Bruce Wayne. This was such a relief for me as I’m constantly worried about Bruce Wayne’s health. Again, this does not substitute Veterinary care, but it can help detect if there are any health concerns.
Another feature that I liked was that within the test results, you can easily open a drop down item description for everything that is tested.
Through talking with the Petnostics team through email, I learned that they recommend you scan your dog’s urine 3-4 times a year. Since I am a confirmed helicopter pet parent, I will be scanning Bruce Wayne’s urine at least 4 times a year.
In no way is this a sponsored blog post, but I found the product so unique and helpful that we wanted to share. Since Petnostics make urine testing kits for both dogs and cats, we have opened this up to both species as well. To enter, be sure to follow ALL of the rules outlined below. This giveaway is open to U.S. residents only and ends midnight, Thursday, July 20, 2017. One winner will be randomly chosen and announced on this post on or about Friday, June 21, 2017.
- Follow @ipartywithbrucewayne on Instagram;
- Tag a friend on our Instagram Petnostics post (each tagged friend is an entry);
- Like this blog post (like button is towards end of post with share buttons);
- Let us know in a comment below if you have ever tried any of the Petnostics testing products?
Thank you and good luck!